4.04.2008

Gluten & Dairy Free Rice Bran Muffins



I ordered a new book called "The Gluten-Free Gourmet." by Bette Hagman. I haven't done very much baking in a year or so but now that I have eliminated wheat, msg and dairy I have seen an improvement in my mood and energy. So trying new gluten-free recipes is coming very easily.

This morning I made Rice Bran Muffins on page 40. My 12 year-old daughter said they tasted like fish. The 9 year-old boy liked them better w/ non-hydrogenated non-dairy margarine w/ honey. However, scarf-jaws, the 7 year-old boy w/ missing two front teeth scarfed them down in two seconds flat!

I preferred mine w/ the non-dairy margarine and honey. They were actually quite tastey if you put enough honey on them. I think next time I might try some finely chopped apple. The recipe said you could put raisins. But, considering that MSG is a naturally occuring process w/ anything aged/fermented/etc., I have not been eating things like raisins, prunes, etc. So no raisins for me!!!!!!!

This is the recipe I will try next time:

Ingredients:
1/4 c. brown organic sugar
2 TBsp. organic non-dairy shortening
1/3 c. sweet white rice flour
1/3 c. brown rice flour
1 TBsp. tapioca flour
2 TBsp. potato starch flour
2 tsp. gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 c. rice milk
1/2 c. rice bran
optional: 1/4 c. diced/shreded apple

Directions:
Cream together shortening and sugar. Add the eggs, beating after each one. Sift the flours together with the baking powder and salt. add to the egg mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in rice bran last, then apples. Bake in greased muffin tins in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 min. Makes 8 small muffins.

No comments: