2.09.2006

Buttermilk Coffee Cake & Dutch Bros. Coffee


Poppy & Noonie who love coffee cake w/ Noonie's Harley!

This morning I'm having some yummy homemade Buttermilk Coffee Cake. I'm supposed to mix it up the night before I want to make it, but I'm being spontaneous...so I'll just have to wait a few hours for it to "age!" When its done, I'm going to make some Dutch Brothers coffee and steam the cream for it w/ my espresso machine. Now if you've never heard of Dutch Brothers coffee, it's the best! My father-in-law won't drink the Sta___ks coffee I make him, but he had 2 cups of this! Poppy liked it too! Check out their website www.dutchbros.com , you can order a lb. to be shipped to you. I signed up for every 3 weeks, but think I'll have to change it to every 2!!

Here's the recipe for the coffee cake, I got it from Mamasita:
cake:
2c.flour 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/2c. brown sugar 1/2c. granulated sugar
1tsp. baking soda 1tsp. baking powder 2/3c. shortening or oleo 2eggs beaten
1c. buttermilk

topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar 1/2tsp. cinnamon 1/3c. chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans*)

Directions for cake: Combine all dry ingredients, cut in shortening. Beat eggs and add to dry ingredients w/ buttermilk. Let stand overnight. Pour into greased & floured 9x13 or (2) 8x8 sq. pans.
Directions for topping: mix all 3 ingredients, sprinkle over top of unbaked cake.
Bake @ 350 for 30 min.

*The best pecans you could ever find are from Green Valley, AZ
www.pecanstore.com

This cake is Noonie's favorite thing to have w/ breakfast during the holidays.

Comment and let me know how you like the coffee & the cake!

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I will give the coffee cake a try soon, but I am a Starbucks girls, so....

I made New Orleans Beignets on Sunday and they were so good. I had to take them across the street so I wouldn't eat them all.

Turkey boy is exceedingly cute. Unfortunately, AI is on Tuesdays at the same time as Gilmore Girls. And I can't miss my girls! But I will catch it when GG is a rerun

CameraDawktor said...

I understand about the Starbucks thing...that's the only espresso I'll buy, and until now, the only coffee I'd brew at home. You should think about giving it a try anyway if your in the mood for something different one of these days. Thanks for the comment.