3.22.2006

SpiceHut's Delicious Greens & Unstuffed French Toast

A few weeks ago I wrote about going to see an Aryuevedic Doctor for my migraines. I had stated, in that post, that I would try to do a better job about eating greens for dinner.

As Aryuvedic medicine originated in India, I thought I'd ask my Blogger Friend, SpiceHut, if she had any suggestions, tips, recipes for cooking greens. She e-mailed me the following recipe which I made last night. It was so awesomely delicious that I asked her if I could post her recipe, which she agreed to!

Unless she has a better title for her recipe, I'm calling it SpiceHut's Delicious Greens
Ingredients:
1 bunch fenugreek or spinach, pick the leaves & chop small
1 small onion finely chopped
2 garlic pods crushed
2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
salt to taste
1/4 tsp sugar
a dash of fresh lemon juice (optional)

Directions:
In a non-stick pan, heat 2 tsp oil. Add onions & saute till transparent. Add the garlic & green chillies to it, saute till onions & garlic turn golden brown.

Add the chopped greens (prefer Fenugreek), sugar, salt to taste, mix well.

Cover & cook on lowest heat setting till done. If the greens are watery after they're cooked--I like them dryish, uncover & cook on high heat, stirring constantly, till water evaporates.

If using lemon juice, sprinkle now, mix. Done.

Late last week, Meyers D. was watching as I was reading SpiceHut's blog. She saw the photo of her Unstuffed French Toast (w/ Banana) and insisted that we try it. We made it Saturday morning and all three of the kids loved it. I have never had French Toast w/out cinnamon but with vanilla. They were truly delicious.

Max-Ay gave me that "HUH?" look when he saw the banans topping his French Toast, but he and T-Sam-E both ate it and said they really liked it. This photo of Meyers D. shows what she thought about it. Can you hear her moaning, "M..mmm...mmm"??

Thank You SpiceHut for the delicious recipes and if you have anymore tips for the cooking of Greens, let me know as I eat them everyday! If I have enough variety I won't tire of eating them because I'll have a large selection of methods to choose from!

1 comment:

lost in thoughts said...

Lovely pic :) You're already a Indian cook.

And I'm blushing furiously seeing your appreciation !!

Thanks. And thanks to dear Meyers D for persuading you to try USFT. You've got such enthusiastic kids ! Cute pics.