5.17.2006

Brownie Scones with Cream and Jam & Lavender Punch




Stephanie over @ Dispensing Happiness is having another Blog Party.

www.thehappysorceress.blogspot.com

This one is a Garden Party. Funny, I had it in my mind that it was an English Tea so that's what I've been focusing on all this time! Oh well, I think my submission still fits a garden party theme. I was going to make a traditional type of scone, or maybe a cream scone, but when I saw the brownie scone in my Mother's "Simply Scones" cookbook I had to try that. I better not post the recipe for fear of reprisal, but it looks like you can get a used book for as little as $2.99 @ amazon.com Here's the link for the book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312015119/qid=1147885840/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-0921728-5667925?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I've gotten a lot of wonderful scone recipes from there, so I think the book is worth the purchase! There's also some recipes for different toppings and such, like lemon curd.

The scone recipe calls for making a 7" round out of the dough and cutting it into 8 squares. I made two 3 1/2 in. rounds and cut them into 4 pieces each. For a cocktail-style party you could cut them smaller.

It's probably not the "true" Devonshire cream, but here's how I made the cream topping for the scone.

I put 1 c. of cold heavy cream in my kitchenaid and whipped it for 10 min. Actually I let it go past the point of whipped cream, almost to a butter stage. While tastey, next time I would stop and leave it a little fluffier. I just like it better that way.

Last summer I made some homemade raspberry freezer jam so I put a generous dollop of cream on my hot scone that had been sliced in 1/2, and put about a Tbsp. of raspberry jam over the top. Absolutely heavenly.

Well, call me lazy but I'm babysitting an infant and don't feel like dragging him, myself and TSE to the store for the ingredients for lavender punch. So there's no picture folks but here's the link to the recipe, it sounds declicious and I actually do plan on making it....some day, maybe when I get some edible lavender. I have a plant but its not producing right now. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/2891-post1.html

I decided to go with a tea punch for the drink with my scone because alcoholic punches can be served at an English tea. I was served champagne with strawberries at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, Canada when I had high tea there. But usually I just drink tea, like an Earl Grey.

I chose this recipe because the combination of tea, lavender and mint sounds so refreshing! I have some fresh mint leaves too so I think it'll be great...when I make it! Sorry folks, and Stephanie I hope I don't get disqualified because I didn't make the drink!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey...English tea, Garden Party? Pretty close, to my mind.

And I don't blame you for scrapping your original plans for those brownies!!

Donna~K said...

Well the scones look heavenly. I love Earl Grey tea but have never heard of lavender punch. I'll be following your links! :)

CameraDawktor said...

Stephanie-
I can't wait to see what everyone else brings to your party!

Donnak-
I hadn't heard of lavendar punch either, but the English did sometimes make an alcoholic tea punch with their teas (snacks). Since I was looking for a non-alcoholic recipe, I thought this one sounded interesting. I can't wait to try it one of these days.

Gracie-
That would be so cool if your home ec class made them. You really should do the homemade cream with them too. Much tastier than butter.

Also, I noticed that they sliced in half easier when fresh out of the oven. Hours later or the next day they tended to crumble a little bit. No biggie but they just don't look as perfect that way!

I hope you try it.

Since you are new to my blog, you may want to check out last month's mini cheesecake recipe. It was my Grandmother's recipe and they are super tastey. A big hit. A little time consuming, but worth it!

Anonymous said...

You have the best recipes! I am going to try some of them someday! :) (I am lousy at cooking, but when I get in a mood love to try new things :) )

Tee/Tracy said...

Oh my gosh. I don't think I have ever wanted a scone so badly in my life. LOL. With the checking account balance hovering near $0 I may have to do some baking tonight. LOL.

Jana said...

Okay, stop it, you're making me hungry!